This Bulletin is part of an ongoing series by Kraeber Law Office to provide helpful hints about developments in the law that could be relevant to your business.
DID YOU KNOW?
CA is an "at-will" employment state, but employers still need to be careful not to say or do something that could change it to "for cause":
- Include an "at-will" statement on the application and in offer letters;
- Have new hires sign an "at-will" acknowledgement on their first day;
- Include an "at-will" statement in the employee handbook (if we did your handbook, you have this already);
- Avoid rigid progressive discipline policies, and instead say that conduct violations "may lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment";
- Train managers and supervisors not to make assurances of job security; and
- Do not answer employment verification forms asking about an employee's prospects for future employment (for example, on mortgage applications).
Contact us with any questions or concerns. We’re here to help.